6.2 When Should Antipsychotics be used?
- Antipsychotic medications are used primarily for the treatment of Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder.
- They are also often prescribed for symptoms like agitation, psychotic episodes and obsessive behaviors.
- More recently they have been used to treat people who have dementia.
- Antipsychotics may be appropriate for residents with dementia if they are experiencing:
- Delusions that are distressing to the resident
- Hallucinations that are distressing to the resident
- Defensive/Reactive behavior (aggression) that is high risk